Sunday, April 26, 2009

Getting Started

I've decided to start a blog. This should make things easier. I'm not sure how it will go when I'm back home (we only have dial up). Living in the valley we don't have to many options for high speed. I've told Dave to do some research.

As you know, Isabelle Grace decided to join us three months early. She arrived on March 3. We began our journey at Winchester Hospital. Isabelle weighed 1lb 12/13 ozs. (810 grams) . She was unable to breath on her own, so she was placed on a conventional ventilator. Her first bed was an incubator, call the Giraffe. Her skin was still transparent. Dave's wedding band fit on her ankle and wrist, with room to spare. Her eyes were still fussed shut. Isabelle was placed under lights for jaundice. She had many different IVS, PIC lines, Arterial lines, blood pressure cuffs, oxygen sensors, temperature probes, etc. At one point she didn't have a free limb. She has had to have an IV placed in her head. Early on Isabelle developed an infection. The doctors, Dr. Lee and Dr. Clauson, did a spinal to see if it was meningitis. That was ruled out and they continued to watch blood cultures. Nothing grew on the blood cultures, but Isabelle did have an x-ray that showed hazy lungs. They began antibiotics for the infection. She had a level one brain bleed, there are four levels. Level one is nothing serious. She had to have four blood transfusions, while at Winchester. She was given hydrocortisone, to help with a stress hormone. Isabelle was also on two blood pressure medicines. She was also given many rounds of indocin to try and close her PDA.

On March 19, we were informed that Isabelle had a perforation in her intestine. This is when our journey got even more difficult. Isabelle was taken to Charlottesville, VA with Neonatal Emergency Transport. Dave and I packed a few things and then headed to Charlottesville, VA. It takes about 2 1/2 hours from our house.

When we arrived the NICU doctors consulted with Dr. Rogers, a surgeon, about Isabelle's belly. They decided to make a small incision in the right side to release pressure and clean out the area. Dr. Rogers put saline into her belly to flush things out, then he put two small drains in. He said we would wait and see if the perforation healed on its own. This should take 2-3 weeks. About 2 weeks later Isabelle had surgery to close her PDA. After her surgery she had to be put on an oscillator. She had a few days that were not so good.
During our journey at Charlottesville, I have stayed at the Ronald McDonald House 35 out of 36 nights. Brooke, Nolan and Lily got to met their sister on March 28. Brooke said Isabelle looked like a baby doll, Nolan just wanted to hug and kiss her and Lily kept saying baby.

Isabelle has been at UVA for 5 1/2 weeks. The NICU doctors had been talking about doing her upper contrast study for weeks. When her contrast study was done, they did a lower GI contrast first. It took the dye 8 days to get out of Isabelle system. The upper GI study was done on April 23 (five weeks after her drains were put in). On Friday, April 24, the surgeon gave the go ahead for trophy feeds. Isabelle does have an area in her intestine that has narrowed, but the surgeon isn't concerned right now. Sometimes feeding can stretch the narrowed area. He feels she doesn't need surgery as long as things are being digested. Trophy feeds are where they feed Isabelle small amounts of breast milk in a feeding tube every 3 hours. Before they feed her they will pull out everything left in her stomach and then return it (gross). This will be done for 4 days. Trophy feeds basically prime the gut. So far Isabelle is doing well with her trophy feeds.

Isabelle is currently on CPAP for her respiratory needs. Yesterday the doctors tried a test on nasal cannula. She did a pretty good job. Daddy was holding her during this time. Today they did another try this morning and she didn't do as well. Maybe Isabelle is already daddy's girl.

I know I left out some information, but this is the shorter version of our journey. I will try to keep everyone updated as much as possible.

Here are some pictures from the last few days.


Isabelle with her nasal cannula



Big sister and brother (Brooke didn't really want Nolan in front of her, you can't tell by her face)

Here is a video of Nolan and Lily giving Isabelle kisses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I have been thinking of you everyday since I heard. Your entry, pictures, and video brought tears to my eyes. I am praying so hard that things progressively get better everyday. I miss and love you and your entire family. God bless :) Kim S. told me about your blog tonight at Walmart. I am so excited that I can keep updated. My thoughts have been with your entire family.