Isabelle has turned one. Her birthday was March 3rd and we had a celebration with family and friends Saturday. The last year has been a year of growing for all of us. Isabelle began her journey three and a half months earlier than she should have. Weighing only a 1 lb and 12 ozs we weren’t sure of her survival. In the beginning I remember thinking did I do something to make this happen. I would analyze this pregnancy with the other three. I just couldn’t help to think that I did something wrong. The doctors said that I probably got an infection, but they weren’t sure.
Looking back on the pictures it is amazing how quickly I began to look past all of the wires and monitors that were helping her survive. I was able to hold her for the first time when she was three days old. The nurse had a system of getting her out of the incubator. I remember being so scared that Isabelle would be hurt. The nurse reminded me over and over that Isabelle needed to feel my touch. Holding my children for the first time had always been so easy with my other three children. Here I was waiting for someone to carefully give her to me. It took a good five minutes to arrange the wires, IV lines and all the other lines. Isabelle was so tiny and fragile. I tried to take every feeling in and remember the moment. I couldn’t help to think that this would be the only time I got to hold her. Holding her against me just put things into reality. I watched the monitors, still learning what everything meant. I couldn’t rub her skin because it was still very thin. Her eyes were still fused shut and she had so many wires hooked to her. Before she was born I remember thinking what is she going to look like. I tried to remember what I had just read in one of the pregnancy books, but I had skipped the parts about early delivery. I’m still glad that I never read those parts because I would have been even more of a mess. Holding her tiny hand I prayed to God that he would continue to help her grow. For almost four months we watched our baby girl over come many obstacles.
Looking at Isabelle today you wouldn’t even know that she was a preemie. She is over 19 lbs and is crawling. Her first tooth has broken skin and she is getting closer to pulling herself up. She loves to squeal and will wave sometimes. Isabelle loves to eat and likes to play with her siblings. She is such a happy baby and has a wonderful smile. Her whole face lights up when she smiles. She truly has completed our family.
This last year has been rough but God has truly blessed us in so many ways. We have meet so many wonderful people that we never would have known. Our family and friends have been so supportive and we truly appreciate everyone that has made this year easier for us. THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!
For Isabelle’s birthday celebration, we asked that everyone not bring gifts for Isabelle, but bring items that the Ronald McDonald House needed. Everyone brought so many items to donate. We will be making a trip to the Ronald McDonald House this Saturday. I cannot wait to take everything to them. We know that your donations will be a blessing to so many families.
We had a very tastey strawberry cake for the guest to eat. Isabelle's cake is in the freezer. She will get her cake in June (which was my due date). Remember the whole adjusted timeline. So you will have to wait and see her reaction. I have a feeling Isabelle will be like Nolan. Which means I will have to take the cake from her before she gets sick.WITH MUCH LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







1 comment:
As I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face I think of all of the wonderful things that Isabelle has yet to do. My heart ached to read what you were going thru as a mother, but yet there is so much joy and happiness. To know what a wonderful MOM you truly are. This little girl is a wonderful reminder of the great things GOD can do! Saturday was a wonderful celebration of LIFE! Love to you all!:)
Post a Comment